The Commission on Investigation of Murders and Enforced Disappearances on Sunday announced that 24 cases will be probed, with the aid of foreign experts.
In a press conference at the President's Office, the commission's chief Husnu al-Suood declared that along with a number of prominent unsolved murders and disappearances, the commission may extend its investigations to include cases submitted by the public.
According to the renowned lawyer, the commission has been making greater progress than anticipated, after it commenced work on November 25.
"God Willing, we will finish our work by April next year," he said.
Suood revealed that the commission is seeking the assistance of foreign experts to solve the cases, including cold case experts from the FBI and Australia.
He revealed that they are also accepting support from a private association, and local mathematician and computer scientist Professor Hassan Ugail.
Suood further proclaimed that local gangs are influencing the appointment of judges to courts, expressing his disbelief that justice would be likely with the current justices in the Criminal Court.
Cold cases to be investigated by the commission:
1. Disappearance of journalist Ahmed Rilwan Abdulla (Male')
2. Murder of Ibrahim Agil
3. An unsolved murder case from 2014
4. Death of 14-year-old Ahmed Wishal, who was injured in an accident (Kalaidhoo, Laamu Atoll)
5. Murder of Mohamed Anas (Meedhoo, Raa Atoll)
6. Murder of Nadhaal Rasheed (Male')
7. Sudden death of Moosa Naeem (Male'), an inmate at Dhoonidhoo Detention Centre
8. Death of Ali Abdulla (Male') during his incarceration
9. Disappearance of Abdulla Mahil (Kudahuvadhoo, Dhaalu Atoll)
10. Death of Raudha Athif
11. Death of Abdulla Rasheed (Male') during his incarceration
12. Disappearance of Mohamed Shafeeu Ibrahim in a yam field (Fuvahmulah)
13. Death of Abdul Shakoor Abdulla (Thakandhoo, Haa Alif Atoll)
14. Murder of parliamentarian Dr. Afrasheem Ali (Ungoofaaru, Raa Atoll)
15. Murder of blogger Yameen Rasheed (Feydhoo, Seenu Atoll)
16. Death of Ahmed Nazeef Shaukath (Male')
17. Death of Mohamed Shahudh (Male')
18. Murder of Bangladeshi national, Shaaheen Miah, in Male'
19. Murder of Ali Ziyadham (Mundoo, Laamu Atoll)
20. Two unsolved murder cases from 2016
21. Murder of Ahmed Jailam Shakir (Male')
22. Death of Nashid Moosa (Fuvahmulah)
23. Disappearance of Ahmed Mishfaq from the Centre for Special Needs People
24. Death of a five-month-old infant at 'Kudakudhinge Hiyaa' orphanage in 2016
President Ibrahim Mohamed Solih formed the presidential Commission on Investigation of Murders and Enforced Disappearances on November 17. The commission holds the same powers as investigative authorities, and is mandated to solve cold cases dating from January 1, 2012 onwards.