President Ibrahim Mohamed Solih on Thursday ratified bills passed by the parliament to amend six Acts.
The ratified bills, which were lobbied to the parliament by the government, include two amendments to the Export Import Act, and amendments to the Tourism Act, the Prisons and Parole Act, the Companies Act, and the National Language Priority Act.
The ratified amendments are:
- Slashing duties from agricultural imports and diesel, in the Export Import Act.
- Transferring power to conduct Environmental Impact Assessments (EIA) from the Ministry of Tourism to the Ministry of Environment, in the Tourism Act.
- Allowing the appointment of officers outside of Maldives Correctional Service to the posts of Commissioner of Prisons and Deputy Commissioner of Prisons, in the Prisons and Parole Act.
- Authorising the Registrar of Companies to dissolve firms that fail to settle annual fees, in the Companies Act.
- Transferring management of all Dhivehi Language related issues from the Ministry of Education to the Ministry of Arts, Culture and Heritage, in the National Language Priory Act.