President Abdulla Yameen Abdul Gayoom urged the public to recognize him as the face of development, should development and progression of Maldives be the "other side of the coin".
After the inauguration of the harbour project at Kolamaafushi, Gaafu Alif Atoll, the president recognized the public acceptance of the development brought about by his administration. Furthermore, he assured that public expectations will be met.
Speaking about Kondey island, “I did not arrive here to tell you to join my party, but rather if you believe in our patriotism and philosophies, and the growth of our country, then identify whose picture is on the other side of development and vote for that individual on September 23,” said President Yameen.
The president urged the citizens to comply to the massive spending on infrastructural projects by his administration, as these amounts are financed in order to advance development in a timely manner that is in line with the expectations of the people.
The president’s summary of statements at the ceremony:
- MVR 39 million have been spent on Kondey by Yameen’s Administration
- Add 4,000 tourist beds in Gaafu Alif Atoll to expand tourism
- Within the first three years of his second term, four resorts are set to open up, providing over 800 beds in the regional area of Kondey. This will create approximately 1,500 jobs for the region
- Land plots will be allocated to develop guest houses in Kondey
- Kaadedhoo Airport to develop into international standards. - To establish an international airport in the Southern atoll of GA.
- Recognizing Huvadhu's (Gaafu Alif and Gaafu Dhaal Atolls') natural resources, pledges to develop the atoll through projects in the future.
Yameen stated that the party has been identifying and researching the needs of the people for a year to compile their manifesto.
With the Maldivian population geographically displaced across over 190 islands, the president affirmed that citizens no longer accept the concept of sustaining the islands solely through the revenue of the island.