The Edition
facebook icon twitter icon instagram icon linkedin icon


Addu City Hithadhoo residence fire results in major losses

Mohamed Rehan
21 May 2023, MVT 12:05
The Hitadhoo residence sustained heavy damage due to the fire breaking out on Saturday midnight-- Photo: Addu City Council
Mohamed Rehan
21 May 2023, MVT 12:05

A residence in Hithadhoo, Addu City, was completely destroyed by a fire, leaving the family who lived there in need of assistance.

According to the Addu City Council, a woman and three of her children who were present during the fire have been treated at the hospital for injuries sustained in the incident.

The incident occurred while the residents of the house were asleep. Reports confirm that individuals living in the house at the time were tenants.

The council said that temporary shelter has been arranged by the authority for the affected residents.

"The council is working to provide aid for the family with the assistance of National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA), after assessing the damages to the property," the council said.

NDMA said that the residence sustained significant damage as a result of the fire, and added that it was coordinating with the Addu City Council to offer assistance to the affected family.

Images shared on social media showed that the furniture, fittings and appliances along with the doors and ceiling of the two bedroom residence had completely burned down.

Share this story

Related Stories