The Edition

Latest

Lockdown in Greater Male' Area extended by a week

Lamya Abdulla
08 June 2021, MVT 18:22
President Ibrahim Mohamed Solih addressing the media in a virtual press conference today -- Photo: President's Office
Lamya Abdulla
08 June 2021, MVT 18:22

The lockdown placed in Greater Male' Area to curb COVID-19 has been extended by an additional week, President Ibrahim Mohamed Solih announced Tuesday.

In a press conference held in the President's Office, he said that the COVID-19 numbers appear to be decreasing after the lockdown which was in place since May 26. Despite the positive result Technical Advisory Group (TAG) decided to extend the current restrictions in the Male' Area by a week.

"If we see the need to extend the restrictions at the end of next week, we will do that as well," he said.

He started the press conference by noting that May had been the worst month in terms of the number of people that had contracted COVID-19 and the amount of people that had passed away since the pandemic started. Last month, 88 people had passed away from COVID-19.

The restrictions in place right now limit movement in public places unless they have a permit from the Police. Two passes are allowed per household so that residents can leave for essential needs. That too is not allowed everyday from 4:00 pm to 8:00 am every day.

Health Minister Ahmed Naseem said, without elaborating, that they are planning to unveil looser restrictions sometime next week.

So far, over 68,502 people had been recorded to have COVID-19 in Maldives. As of Monday evening 49,844 people have recoverred while 189 people had passed away from COVID.

MORE ON NEWS