Controller of Maldives Immigration Mohamed Ahmed Hussain (Hanafee) announced on Monday that the department accomplished 93 percent of targets set for the year 2019.
At the 'Kashavaru 2019' ceremony held to commemorate their achievements, Mohamed stated that 14 major milestones were achieved this year.
"We celebrated 'Kashavaru 2019' after confirming that the public found it much easier to access Immigration's services", he tweeted.
"Achieving 93 percent of the targets set for 2019 is proof of this", Mohamed added, extending thanks to President Ibrahim Mohamed Solih, Minister of Defence Mariya Ahmed Didi and Immigration staff.
Immigration's achievements for the year include:
- Introducing a system accepting online applications for passports and online payments
- Publicising Immigration's statistics
- Allowing foreigners arriving on business visas to enter the country through Gan International Airport.
- Issuing business visas within a duration of 48 hours
- Submitting 27 cases to the authorities relating to human trafficking
- Inaugurating an Immigration Office in Haa Alif Atoll in an attempt to decentralise the institution's services
- Establishing a Document Control Examination Lab at Gan International Airport to strengthen border security
- Introducing a Border Control Mobile System to provide seaport clearance
- Introducing online work visa services
- Establishing call centres to disseminate information more effectively
- Introducing a system named 'Rashun' to provide passport services from islands
- Providing higher education opportunities to 25 Immigration officers
- Training a total of 131 Immigration officers and 48 individuals from other organisations in seven areas related to Immigration's services
Highlighting their accomplishments, Immigration Controller Mohamed also stated that efforts will be made to improve their services in 2020.