Elections Commission (EC), on Thursday, revealed which city council seats would be reserved for women as per recent amendments to the Decentralisation Act.
The representative constituencies were chosen by lot at a function held by the elections watchdog.
Six out of 18 constituencies in Male', four out of 12 constituencies in Addu and two out six constituencies in Fuvahmulah will be allocated to women.
EC further revealed that constituencies were assigned numbers instead of names.
- Male' City 2: 4 (located in Henveiru Ward)
- Male' City 9: (located in Machangoalhi Ward)
- Male' City 12: 14 (located in Maafannu Ward)
- Male' City 18: (located in Vilingili Ward)
- Addu City 3: (located in Hithadhoo)
- Addu City 6: (located in Feydhoo)
- Addu City 18: (located in Hulhudhoo)
- Addu City 12: (located in Meedhoo)
- Fuvahmulah City 1: (located in Dhadimagu and Dhiguvaandu)
- Fuvahmulah City 4: (located in Funaadu Ward)
A total of 372 of the 980 individuals elected in the council election slated for April 2020 will be women.