Daily newspaper 'Mihaaru' shone once more at the annual Maldives Journalism Awards 2018, organised by Maldives Media Council (MMC), on Sunday night.
MMC gave away awards in the categories of Society, Politics, Sports, Feature, Judiciary and Law, Business and Economy, and Photography. Journalists of Mihaaru were nominated in all categories, and bagged awards in five:
- Society (Print and Online Newspaper): Aasiyath Mohamed Saeed
- Politics (Print and Online Newspaper): Fazeena Ahmed
- Sports (Print and Online Newspaper): Mohamed Hamdhoon
- Feature (Print and Online Newspaper): Mohamed Hamdhoon
- Photography: Hussain Waheed
Sports journalist Mohamed Hamdhoon made journalism history with his double win. He has contributed multiple features on Maldivian history to Mihaaru.
Winners of the other categories are:
- Society (Broadcasting): Aminath Ameena Naeeem, from V Media
- Politics (Broadcasting): Murshid Abdul Hakeem, from Raajje TV
- Feature (Broadcasting): Hussain Hassan, from Raajje TV
- Judiciary and Law (Print and Online Newspaper): Nazim Hassan, from Avas
- Business and Economy (Print and Online Newspaper): Mohamed Afrah, from Avas
MMC also presented the award for most promising journalist to Najah Masood from Sun Online.
There were no Broadcasting nominees in the categories of Sports, Judiciary and Law, and Videography.
MMC launched the Journalism Awards in 2013, in recognition of the efforts of local journalists, reporters and media outlets. Historically, the journalists of then-'Haveeru' and currently Mihaaru took home most of the awards.