Maldives National University (MNU), on Wednesday, hosted a panel discussion between experts from the Environment, Fisheries and Agriculture sectors to commemorate the 'International Day for Biological Diversity'.
The panel was comprised of:
- Deputy Directer General of Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), Dr Ibrahim Mohamed.
- Senior Agriculture Officer at Ministry of Fisheries, Marine Resources and Agriculture, Gasith Mohamed.
- Director General at Ministry of Fisheries, Marine Resources and Agriculture, Dr Mohamed Shiham Adam.
- Executive Director at International Centre for Environment Development, Dr Mizna Mohamed.
- Director General of Ministry of Environment, Mohamed Zahir
The theme for International Day for Biological Diversity 2019 is "Our Biodiversity, Our Food, Our Health", with the focus on biodiversity as the foundation for food and health, and as a key catalyst to transforming food systems and improving human well-being.
Each of the panel members took turns speaking from their respective expertise on the matter. The discussion highlighted a broad variety of aspects such as civic responsibility to be active in the preservation of the natural environment.
After the discussion, the panel hosted a Question and Answer session where the audience was granted the opportunity to level their inquiries directly to the panel of experts.
The International Day for Biological Diversity panel discussion was attended by approximately 50 people.