President Ibrahim Mohamed Solih on Tuesday formed a committee to tackle the issue of blasphemy.
The president formed the committee based on the counsel of his Cabinet, amidst the recent upsurge of social media posts which mock and insult Islam, its holy scripture Quran, and the Prophet Muhammad.
The committee comprises of:
- Vice President, Faisal Naseem
- Minister of Defence, Mariya Ahmed Didi
- Minister of Home Affairs, Imran Abdulla
- Minister of Higher Education, Dr Ibrahim Hassan
- Minister of Islamic Affairs, Dr Ahmed Zahir
- Minister of Youth, Sports and Community Empowerment, Ahmed Mahloof
- Chief of Staff at the President's Office, Ali Zahir
According to the President's Office, the committee will work jointly with the authorities to find solutions for public comments that compromise the sacrosanct character of the Islamic religion, as well as the use of religion to threaten the properties and lives of people. The Office stated that the committee is tasked with coming up with short-term and long-term solutions to the problem.
Following the blasphemous posts on social media, Police have announced investigations into the issue, and summoned a number of people for interrogation, including former parliamentarian, Ibrahim Ismail (Ibra). Amidst the allegations Ibrahim is facing, unknown individuals had broken a window of his institution 'Mandhu College' on Monday night.
Meanwhile, the Ministry of Islamic Affairs has also assured that steps will be taken to stop blasphemy and the use of religion to propagate extremism and violence. However, the public has raised concerns over the lack of action taken.