The Edition
facebook icon twitter icon instagram icon linkedin icon


Galolhu Stadium altercation: 13 of the 16 arrested released from custody

The police states that all persons arrested in relation to the Galolhu Stadium football match altercation has been released with the exclusion of three individuals whose sentences were extended.

Aishath Shuba Solih
28 February 2024, MVT 14:40
During the altercation at Galolhu Football Stadium -- Photo: Mihaaru News
Aishath Shuba Solih
28 February 2024, MVT 14:40

The police have stated that thirteen of the sixteen arrests made following the altercation at Galolhu Stadium on the 6th of this month during the quarter final match of the Second Division football tournament have been released from police custody.

This assault ensued within the final ten minutes of the match played between Kuda Henveyru Sports Club and Victory Sports Club.

A media official for the police shared with Mihaaru News that the case of supporters from the stands storming the play grounds and assaulting players and officials of Victory SC had prompted sixteen arrests of which thirteen individuals have been released from police captivity with mandated conditions.

“Of these [arrested] individuals, there are three remaining in police custody," the official said.

The police further disclosed that following their summons to the criminal court on Sunday last week to determine their sentence, the custodial terms of these three individuals were extended by another fifteen days.

Police is presently commencing further investigations in this case.

Following the 82nd minute of the match, a group of Kuda Henveiru supporters entered the ground's compound area, escalating tensions. One protester had physically assaulted Sobah, causing significant injury to his face with a punch.

The match was marred by violence when Mohamed Hajim Riffath of Kuda Henveiru was deliberately kicked by Victory team’s Anatoly in response to a foul on him. This led to a controversy after referee Mohamed Javiz decided to show Anatoly a yellow card instead of a red card for the intentional attack. Kuda Henveiru had expressed dissatisfaction with the referee's decisions prior to the dispute as well.

Share this story

Related Stories