The Edition
facebook icon twitter icon instagram icon linkedin icon


Expat dies after fire breaks out in house in Male

Fathmath Shaahunaz
07 March 2018, MVT 01:05
MNDF firefighters work to put out a fire that broke out in a house in capital Male on March 6, 2018. PHOTO: HUSSAIN WAHEED/MIHAARU
Fathmath Shaahunaz
07 March 2018, MVT 01:05

An expatriate worker, who was left in critical condition in a fire incident in capital Male, died Thursday evening.

The fire broke out Thursday afternoon in a house in Maafannu ward, which served as accommodation flats for expatriate workers. The 48 year old Bangladeshi national had been sleeping at the time of the incident and had suffered smoke damage, according to state-run Indira Gandhi Memorial Hospital (IGMH).

The hospital added that he had been unconscious at the time of admission as well.

Mihaaru understands that the Bangladeshi national had been working without a permit in the Maldives. He is succeeded by a child.

According to Maldives National Defence Force (MNDF), the fire broke out in a kitchen on the third floor of the building, and had damaged the second floor as well.

Share this story

Related Stories