Former President and Majilis Speaker Mohamed Nasheed on Thursday flew to Germany for seek further treatment from injuries he sustained in the May 6 terror attack.
He was taken to Germany in an air ambulance. The cost for the air ambulance and Nasheed's healthcare in Germany was paid by the the Honorary Consul to Maldives in Germany Christian Freiherr von Stetten, the Parliament had said in a press release.
Nasheed's travel and healthcare needs were taken care of the German Government, with the assistance of the Maldivian Embassy in Germany and the Foreign Ministry.
Nasheed was escorted from ADK Hospital to the airport by heavily armed security, around 1030 hrs Thursday. Security of a state official had never been carried out that strong in Maldives previously.
His family has said he was taken abroad for recovery and rehabilitation.
In addition to Nasheed, four others sustained injuries during the terror attack. While Nasheed underwent 16 hours of life saving surgery, the others were released after that evening itself.
Three people had been arrested by the Police in relation to the terror attack. They were to be kept in remand for 15 days.
In the first tweet since the terror attack the previous Thursday, Nasheed congratulated healthcare workers in Maldives. He also assured that he would remain working for the people in Maldives.
"If Allah be willing, to bring the governance the people of [Maldives] wish for, I would remain working," Nasheed had said.
He also wished everyone Eid Mubarak.