The Edition

Latest

COVID-positive Trump says 'no' to virtual debate

Shahudha Mohamed
08 October 2020, MVT 19:53
US President Donald Trump walks to Marine One prior to departure from the South Lawn of the White House in Washington, DC, October 2, 2020, as he heads to Walter Reed Military Medical Center, after testing positive for Covid-19. - President Donald Trump will spend the coming days in a military hospital just outside Washington to undergo treatment for the coronavirus, but will continue to work, the White House said Friday (Photo by SAUL LOEB / AFP)
Shahudha Mohamed
08 October 2020, MVT 19:53

President Donald Trump, who is still being treated for COVID-19, said Thursday he will refuse to take part in the presidential debate next week after it was switched to a virtual format.

"I'm not going to do a virtual debate," he told Fox Business News, saying this was "not acceptable to us."

He accused the bipartisan debate commission of trying to "protect" his opponent Joe Biden.

The Commission on Presidential Debates said earlier it was making the change to a virtual format so as to "protect the health and safety of all involved."

It said the debate would have a town hall forum with the candidates in remote locations.

Trump tested positive for COVID-19 last week and spent three days in the hospital before returning to the White House on Monday evening.

Even though he was still contagious he dramatically removed his mask upon arriving at the mansion and posed for photographers.

MORE ON WORLD