The Maldivian Democratic Party (MDP) has filed a no-confidence motion against the Parliament Speaker Mohamed Nasheed.
The no-confidence motion was endorsed by 54 MPs in parliament today.
- Parliamentary work halted due to delays in committee formation
- Leaving presidence every day without an explanation
- Supporting members who violate the point of order of the parliament
- Participating in debates while presiding over the parliament session
- Obstruction of Attorney General Ibrahim Riffath's case
- Favoring certain members of the parliament
According to the motion seeking the removal of Speaker Nasheed, he was elected with the majority votes of numerous parliamentarians to fulfill the aspirations of the people.
However, if Nasheed continues to serve as Speaker, the parliament would be unable to fulfill its legal responsibilities, and it would lead to the reputation of the parliament to be diminished in the eyes of the people, the motion said.
"... as the confidence in Speaker Mohamed Nasheed has been undermined due to the aforementioned factors and reasons, we hereby sign and request the removal of Speaker Mohamed Nasheed from his position in the Parliament," the petition stated.
A total of 50 members from the MDP parliamentary group signed in favor of Nasheed's dismissal. Kulhudhuffushi South MP Jamsheed, Bileddhoo MP Ahmed Haleem, Hithadhoo Central MP Ahmed Rasheed and Fonadhoo MP Moosa Siraj, however, did not sign the motion.
In addition to MDP members, the petition was also signed by Dhaalu atoll Meedhoo MP Ahmed Siyam (Sun Siyam), Nolhivaram MP Mohamed Nasheed Abdulla, Kaashidhoo MP Abdullah Jabir and Thulusdhoo MP Ibrahim Naseer Nasheed.