The Edition


Criminal Court issues 15-day remand for 3 arrested over terror attack

Nafaahath Ibrahim
09 May 2021, MVT 21:36
Mujaz Ahmed, 21 (L), Adhuham Rasheed, 26 (M) and Thahmeen Ahmed 32. PHOTO: POLICE
Nafaahath Ibrahim
09 May 2021, MVT 21:36

The Criminal Court on Sunday remanded three suspects arrested in connection to the terror attack against former President and Parliament Speaker Mohamed Nasheed, for a period of 15 days.

Police made the first two, Mujaz Ahmed, 21 and Thahmeen Ahmed 32, in connection to the attack on May 8. The third person, Adhuham Rasheed, 26 was arrested on May 9.

The Criminal Court came to this decision on the basis that all three posed danger to the public if they remain loose.

Adhuham was arrested through information provided by the public.

All three are local men, and their information has been publicised by the Police. They have also shared CCTV footage which showed Adhuham inside Athama Place, in close vicinity of the blown motorcycle.

Additionally, Police revealed that the motorbike to which the IED was attached was registered under Thahumeen.

Although attempts were made to wipe the registry number of the bike, the forensic team was able to identify and provide the link to Thahumeen.

However, all three suspects denied any involvement in the attack which injured Nasheed and four others, including his bodyguards.

As per the court order, when presented with the opportunity to speak, both Adhuham and Mujaz made similar statements denying all allegations and added that they did not have any further comments to make.

Meanwhile, Thahumeen denied that the motorbike registration was under his name, but papers presented by the police showed otherwise, said Criminal Court.

All three are facing terrorism charges and presiding Judge Ahmed Mohamed noted in his court order that police have presented enough evidence to invoke a case against all.

Speaking to the press soon after the attack, Police at the time revealed that four individuals were flagged for displaying "suspicious behaviours" from the crime scene.

Police continued their appeal to the public to come forth with any information they may have in relation to the attack. A citizen portal has been created and those who forward information are granted full anonymity.