The project to bury sewage and water pipes at the second phase of reclaimed suburb Hulhumale' is currently underway.
Managing Director of Housing Development Corporation (HDC) Suhail Ahmed stated on Thursday that Male' Water and Sewerage Company (MWSC) commenced the work after the cafe's and restaurants on Hulhumale' beach were emptied out.
According to Suhail, over 300 meters of pipelines have been buried so far.
The cafe's and restaurants operating on the beach were removed last July after HDC issued a one-month notice to clear out the premises.
While a total of five pipelines are being buried on the beach, HDC previously estimated that the process will take eight to 12 months.
"The work is ongoing according to plan and on schedule", Suhail said.
He further clarified that there were no particular plans regarding the usage of Hulhumale's beach area. However, further decisions will be made once the pipelines have been laid, he said.