The Edition
facebook icon twitter icon instagram icon linkedin icon


Yemeni hospitalised after hunger strike dies in Maldives

Shahudha Mohamed
02 August 2020, MVT 18:40
Yasir Yahya, a Yemeni citizen in custody over allegations of terrorism, was admitted at Indira Gandhi Memorial Hospital after a two-month hunger strike. He passed away on August 2. PHOTO: MIHAARU FILES.
Shahudha Mohamed
02 August 2020, MVT 18:40

Yasir Yahya, a Yemeni national arrested in Maldives over terrorism allegations, passed away on Sunday.

According to local media Mihaaru, Yasir died at 1625hrs while he was under treatment in Indira Gandhi Memorial. He was hospitalised since July 21, after his condition deteriorated following a hunger strike that lasted two months.

At one point, Yasir was placed in a ventilator, but Maldives Correctional Service had later disclosed that his health was improving. Authorities had revealed no further details at the time.

Correctional Service confirmed that Yasir passed away, further adding that the details of his death were shared with Human Rights Commission of Maldives, Inspector of Correctional Service and the family of the deceased.

Yasir, who has a child with his Maldivian wife, was taken under Maldives Immigration's custody on March 3, 2017. However, no charges were pressed against him till date.

In October 2019, Commissioner of Police Mohamed Hameed stated that Yasir was arrested and jailed by various countries over allegations linked to terrorist activities. He further noted that investigations revealed Yasir to be acquainted with terrorism supporters in Maldives.

Therefore, authorities arrested the Yemeni on the grounds that he may pose a threat to national security.

Following his arrest, Immigration instructed Yasir to cancel his visa and leave Maldives within a period of one month, but he refused.

Ministry of Home Affairs had stated that his repatriation would be arranged as soon as he agreed to the offer. Yasir was being held at Hulhumale' Detention Centre till he left the country.

Home Minister Imran Abdulla had formerly asserted that authorities did not violate any of Yasir's human rights, adding that he was held in custody under the most lenient conditions.