The Maldives government on Sunday contracted SJ Construction to develop a 10-storey housing tower consisting of 50 apartments in Lhaviyani atoll Kurendhoo.
The signing ceremony was held at the Ministry of National Planning, Housing, and Infrastructure. The ministry’s Director General of Housing Department, Ahmed Wisham Naseem, signed on behalf of the state, and SJ Construction’s Managing Director, Shihad Ibrahim, signed on behalf of the contractor.
SJ was contracted for the housing tower project under the design and build approach.
- Maldives government will spend MVR 95,980,140 on the project from the Public Sector Investment Program (PSIP)
- Project to be completed within an eight-month timeframe
- Each flat consists of three bedrooms with ensuite bathrooms, a dining room, a living area, a laundry room, and a storage area
- The floors can be accessed via lift
- Commercial and building services areas on the ground floor
Additionally, the project includes the installation of street lights and the development of a parking area for residents, according to the ministry.
While the government is executing several housing projects in the country, it is not common for high-rise towers to be built on atolls.