Maldives Customs Service has reported a revenue of MVR 316 million for July 2022, up by 31 percent.
According to the authority's most recent statistical update, Maldives imported MVR 4.3 billion of commodities inclusive of fuel - up by 56 percent.
Exclusive of fuel, total value of import commodities stood at MVR 3.3 billion, up by 44 percent.
Maldives exported MVR 78 million of commodities, up by 52 percent.
Top import commodities include;
1. Food items (excluding pork, alcohol and tobacco) - MVR 5.6 billion
2. Fuel (marine gas fuel, petrol and aviation gas) - MVR 919 million
3. Machinery and mechanical appliances - MVR 734 million
4. Base metal and articles of base metal - MVR 430 million
5. Products of chemical and allied industries - MVR 239 million
Top import destinations included Oman, with MVR 797 million worth of imports, which amounts to 19 percent of total imports. India with MVR 698 million worth of imports which is 16 percent of the total and UAE with MVR 550 million worth of imports representing 13 percent of the total.
Other major import destinations include China and Singapore which amounts to MVR 493 million and MVR 343 million respectively.
Top export commodities include;
1. Skipjack Tuna (prepared or preserved) - MVR 40 million
2. Skipjack Tuna/Stripe-bellied Bonito (frozen) - MVR 14 million
3. Flours, metals and pallets of fish - MVR 4 million
4. Yellowfin tuna chunk (fresh or chilled) - MVR 4 million
5. Yellowfin tuna loins (fresh or chilled) - MVR 3 million
Export destinations include Germany with MVR 21 million worth of commodities exported and UK with MVR 18 million worth of exports. Other major export destinations include Mauritius with exports worth MVR 13 million, Bangladesh with MVR 5 million and India with MVR 4 million.