The government of Maldives on Tuesday announced the hike of taxi fares in Greater Male' region.
This bump in the fare rates will become effective from Wednesday, July 6 onwards according to the Ministry of Transport.
The ministry also highlighted that the price hike from taxi fares have been bumped owing to the rising oil prices in the global market.
According to the price revisions made by the authority, the changes include;
- Inland travels (in Male' and Hulhumale') - MVR30 (previously at MVR25)
- From Male' to Hulhumale' Phase I - MVR85 (previously at MVR75)
- From Male' to Hulhumale' Phase II - MVR100
- From Male' to Hulhule' (airport island) - MVR70
- From Hulhumale' Phase I to Hulhule' - MVR80
- From Hulhumale' Phase II to Hulhule' - MVR85
- From Hulhumale' Phase I to Hulhumale' Phase II (and vice-versa) - MVR40
The changes were implemented by the authority after the cab fraternity had recently claimed on hiking taxi prices for themselves if the government authorities failed to address their concerns.