The United Nations' Human Rights Council (HRC) extended the tenure of Special Rapporteur on Freedom of Religion or Belief, Dr Ahmed Shaheed, until 2022, at the 40th Session of the HRC in Geneva, Switzerland.
A career diplomat, Dr Shaheed assumed the position of Special Rapporteur in 2016.
Prior to his appointment, Shaheed was the Special Rapporteur on the situation of human rights in Iran from 2011 to 2016.
He was the foreign minister of Maldives from 2005 to 2007, and from 2008 to 2010. He led the efforts to sign and ratify all nine international human rights conventions in the country.
- The Convention on the Elimination of all forms of Racial Discrimination (CERD) : Ratified
- The International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (CCPR) : Ratified
- The International Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights (CESCR) : Ratified
- The Convention on the Elimination of all forms of Discrimination Against Women (CEDAW) : Ratified
- The Convention Against Torture, and Other Cruel, Inhuman or Degrading Treatment or Punishment (CAT) : Ratified
- The Convention on the Rights of the Child (CRC) : Ratified
- The Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (CRPD) : Ratified
- The International Convention for the Protection of all Persons from Enforced Disappearance (CED) : Not Ratified
- The International Convention on the Protection of the Rights of All Migrant Workers and Members of Their Families (CMW) : Not Ratified