Maldives Media Council (MMC) elections were held at the Ministry of Home Affairs on Saturday.
Seven representatives from various media firms and seven members from the public were elected for the new MMC term.
MMC holds elections every two years, with the previous term expiring last Wednesday. While 109 media outlets had registered to participate in this year’s elections, only 96 cast their ballots.
Currently, the MMC consists of eight representatives from media outlet. However only seven were elected on Saturday as Ali Yoosuf, from Raajje TV, who was elected on February 2017 is yet to complete his term.
MMC members elected from media firms
1. Azmee Ali / Dhuvas Online Noos
2. Ali Rifshan / Fenvaru Online
3. Ahmed Azif / Sun Media Group
4. Hidhayathullah / Hafthaa Online
5. Shifza Musthafa / VMedia
6. Ahmed Jadhuvaan / Public Service Media (PSM)
7. Ali Ahusan / Dhiislam Daily
MMC members elected from the public
1. Abdul Latheef Ahmed / Male’
2. Rifaath Rasheed / Villingili, Gaafu Alif Atoll
3. Athif Abdul Hakeem/ Male’
4. Hisan Hassan / Male’
5. Sheereen Nahidha Latheef / Male’
6. Ahmed Ameen Mohamed / Fiyoree, Gaafu Dhaalu Atoll
7. Fathmath Sauzan Hussain / Male’