The Edition

Latest

Finance ministry allocates money to political parties

Farah Ahmed
29 October 2017, MVT 14:56
During the "Habeys 3" rally held by PPM to celebrate the third anniversary of its government. PHOTO: MOHAMED SHARUHAAN/MIHAARU
Farah Ahmed
29 October 2017, MVT 14:56

The Ministry of Finance on Sunday said that it had forwarded the allocated sum of money for political parties from the state’s budget to the recipient parties last week.

According to the finance ministry, a total of MVR 23 million was distributed amongst the political parties.

Ruling Progressive Party of Maldives (PPM) had received the largest sum of money, being the biggest political party in the Maldives with MVR 10 million, whilst the main opposition Maldivian Democratic Party (MDP) received MVR 7.4 million.

Ruling party’s coalition partner Maldivian Development Alliance (MDA) and opposition’s coalition partner Jumhoory Party (JP) collectively received MVR 2.7 million.

The finance minister Ahmed Munnavar on Thursday said that the ministry had forwarded the money from the state budget to the political parties; however, some parties denied the claim and said that they had not been given the money.

According to the political parties regulation, a total of 0.1 – 0.2 per cent of the state budget for each year should be allocated to registered political parties.

The state had set a budget of MVR 27 million for the political parties this year.

The Election Commission is mandated to distribute 40 per cent of this amount equally among all political parties registered at the time of distribution, and the remaining 60 per cent is to be distributed proportionally to the size of membership of each political party.

MORE ON NEWS