The Edition


Ex-pres Nasheed seeks meeting with jailed ex-VP

Fathmath Shaahunaz
19 June 2017, MVT 14:25
Former VP Ahmed Adheeb escorted back to Dhoonidhoo Prison in a police speedboat. PHOTO: HUSSAIN WAHEED/MIHAARU
Fathmath Shaahunaz
19 June 2017, MVT 14:25

Former President Mohamed Nasheed has requested a meeting between his delegates and former Vice President Ahmed Adheeb, who is currently serving a long prison sentence.

Main opposition Maldivian Democratic Party (MDP)’s Secretary General Anas Abdul Sattar stated Monday that former President Nasheed, who is currently in Sri Lanka, has requested the Ministry of Home Affairs and Maldives Police Service to grant him permission to send delegates to meet with Adheeb over the situation of his health.

According to Anas, Nasheed will be represented by MDP’s chairperson Hassan Latheef, deputy leader Mohamed Shifaz and parliamentary group leader Ibrahim Mohamed Solih.

The former vice president’s family have said that he is suffering from multiple health conditions, including glaucoma, an internal cyst and kidney stones. They have requested permission from authorities multiple times to send Adheeb abroad for medical treatment. However, none of the institutions have arrived at a positive decision yet.

The family has filed the issue at the Human Rights Commission of the Maldives (HRCM) as well as the United Nations. They have also written to ruling Progressive Party of Maldives (PPM)’s parliamentary group leader Ahmed Nihan, seeking a meeting with the PG members.

Meanwhile, Amnesty International has called on the Maldives to provide proper medical service to Adheeb in accordance with the Constitution of the country as well as the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.

Adheeb is currently serving a jail sentence of 33 years for his involvement in the biggest corruption scandal in the country and orchestrating an assassination attempt on President Abdulla Yameen Abdul Gayoom. Other investigations of graft against Adheeb are still underway with ongoing hearings at the Criminal Court.