President Dr Mohamed Muizzu has on Sunday appointed Mohamed Sham'aan Waheed to the post of Controller General of Immigration.
Sham'aan, who served in the Immigration services for 14 years, was dismissed from his position during the administration of former President Ibrahim Mohamed Solih for sharing political social media posts in support of former President Abdulla Yameen.
However, the Employment Tribunal ordered the State last year to reinstate him to his position, ruling the dismissal unlawful.
Sham'aan, at the time, posted on social media alleging that the previous government had cancelled his student loan, forcing him to abandon his Masters Programme and return to the Maldives. He said that upon his return, the government had transferred him to an office which was not related to his area of expertise.
He had last filled the position of an Immigration Officer. On his return, he was transferred to HEOC, which was established to address the Covid 19 pandemic.
Sham'aan alleged that he was transferred unlawfully on the direct order of then Immigration Controller Mohamed Ahmed Hussain (Hanafy).
Sham'aan has earned a degree in Law Enforcement from the University of Western Sydney in Australia.
In addition to Sham'aan, President Muizzu has appointed other individuals to senior positions at various government institutions.
The new appointees include;
- Minister at the President's Office Iqbal Adam of Galolhu Vashafaru
- Ambassador at Large in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs Mohamed Hussain Shareef of Maafannu Kothanmaage
- Chief of Staff at the Vice President's Residence Mohamed Waheed Hassan of Blue House, Haa Alif Vashafaru
- Minister of State for Homeland Security and Technology Dr Mohamed Kinanath of Mahchangolhi Bodudhaharaage
- Chancellor at Maldives National University Dr Mahmood Shaugee of Maafannu Light Corner 4
- Vice Chancellor at Maldives National University Dr Aishath Shehenaz Adam of Maafannu Amazon
- Vice Chancellor at Maldives Islamic University Dr Ali Zahir of Maafannu Hithimaage