The Bank of Maldives (BML) has announced the recipients of the BML Sports Scholarship.
The scholarship was introduced as part of a series of 12 high-impact monthly community initiatives to celebrate BML’s 40th anniversary.
President of the Maldives Olympic Committee, Mohamed Abdul Sattar, and BML CEO and Managing Director Karl Stumke attended the awarding ceremony held on Sunday morning. The ceremony was also attended by officials from the Maldives Olympic Committee and representatives from the national sporting associations.
The recipients of the BML Sports Scholarship are:
1. Mariyam Ru-ya Ali, Athletics, to Kingston, Jamaica
2. Mohamed Minhaal Shamic, Athletics, to Kingston, Jamaica
3. Mohamed Salim Abdul Samad, Badminton, to Dubai, United Arab Emirates
4. Shuba Mohamed Shareef, Badminton, to Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5. Fathimath Jumana Nima, Table Tennis, to Zagreb, Croatia
6. Moosa Munsif Ahmed, Table Tennis, to Zagreb, Croatia
7. Layan Mohamed Shamin, Tennis, to Barcelona, Spain
The scholarship opportunity was open to all registered national sports associations, while the athletes were selected by the Maldives Olympic Committee.
BML introduced the scholarship to support local athletes achieve their sporting potential through targeted programs and provide fully funded scholarships for top national athletes to train and develop at globally renowned training facilities.