The Edition


Eid al-Adha prayers to be held at mosques, Ministry axes mass congregation

Ahmed Aiham
28 July 2020, MVT 09:27
August 21, 2018, Male City: Mass congregation for Eid prayer on Eid al-Adha. PHOTO: AHMED NISHAATH / MIHAARU
Ahmed Aiham
28 July 2020, MVT 09:27

Ministry of Islamic Affairs, on Monday, revealed that Eid al-Adha prayers will be held exclusively in mosques, in lieu of mass congregational prayers in the Greater Male' Region.

A Ministry spokesperson stated that all mosques hosting congregational Friday prayers will have the eid prayers performed at.

In regards to islands outside the region, the spokesperson stated that the respective "island council would decide" on the matter.

The Islamic Ministry has declared July 31, Friday, as Eid al-Adha, signalling the end of the Islamic holy pilgrimage of Hajj

Due to stringent restrictive measures imposed as a result of the ongoing COVID-19 outbreak in the region, the Ministry had earlier suspended congregational Eid al-Fitr prayers in the densely populated region.

Eid al-Fitr is celebrated to mark the end of the Islamic holy month of Ramadan.

Authorities commenced a phased easing of lockdown restrictions on May 28, with the second phase beginning on June 15, which saw mosques reopened for individual prayers. However, congregational prayers resumed on July 1, following the enaction of the third phase of easing lockdown measures.

The number of COVID-19 cases increased after the state initiated efforts to steer the country towards a 'new normal' across the Greater Male' Region. Government offices and businesses including shops, cafe's and restaurants restarted services on July 1 while authorities reopened Maldives' borders for tourism on July 15.

With this development, the total number of positive cases has reached 3,369, with 792 active cases. Till date, the country recorded 2,547 recoveries and 15 deaths.

As one of the most densely populated cities in the world, Maldives' capital Malé recorded a significant increase in COVID-19 cases in the first weeks following the first confirmed local transmission on April 15.