Allegations have surfaced that the mother of the toddler, who was sexually abused by her paternal grandfather, was also a victim of sexual abuse by her father-in-law.
According to local media Mihaaru, the family confirmed that the mother has accused the child's grandfather of abusing her.
"She has explained her experiences to her siblings", said the family, adding that "she has previously complained about her father-in-law on various occasions".
Moreover, the family claims that the mother pleaded for her child to be removed from the paternal household, before she left for the capital city of Male' for medical treatment. The victim's mother, who is allegedly a victim of substance abuse, has since been discharged from the hospital.
After the child's sexual abuse case came to light, Ministry of Gender, Family and Social Services took the victim under state care and handed her over to a maternal family member, after the authorities ensured that both the relative and their home environment would ensure safety and protection for the girl.
Neighbours have corroborated cases of heated arguments within the household, confirming the nature of the conversation to be allegations against the child's grandfather.
The family has reported the matter to Maldives Police Service.
The news of a police investigation into the abuse case of the child in Kanduhulhudhoo, Gaafu Dhaalu Atoll, shook the country on Thursday.
Police on Saturday disclosed that three men were arrested in connection to the crime. Two of the three men, the victim’s 62-year old grandfather and 81-year old great-grandfather, face sexual abuse charges against the two-year-old, while the victim’s father, 33, is accused of negligence.
While responding to a reporter's question as to why the victim's great-grandfather, who has a record of sexually abusing children and had been investigated before, was still on the loose, Police said that they received reports of the great-grandfather back in 2018, and had investigated and sent the case to the Prosecutor General's Office for indictment. However, Police decided not to remand him until conviction due to the elderly man's age. They revealed that the latest information the agency received of the case was a hearing held in June 2019.