Ministry of National Planning, Housing and Infrastructure on Tuesday awarded 10 infrastructural projects worth over MVR 1 billion to Maldives Transport and Contracting Company (MTCC), including the development of the airport at Faresmaathoda, Gaafu Dhaalu Atoll.
The agreements were signed by the ministry's Director General Fathimath Shana and MTCC's CEO Adam Azim at a special ceremony held at state radio broadcast station, Voice of Maldives.
The Faresmaathodaa airport project, valued at MVR 144, 833,139 million, was awarded under the design and build policy, to be completed within a year and half.
The project comprises the construction of a 1,200-metre long runway, as well as the terminal building.
CEO Azim stated that the project is set to commence soon as MTCC has almost completed the airport development at Hoarafushi, Haa Alif Atoll.
- Land reclamation and coastal protection of Ihavandhoo, Haa Alif Atoll (MVR 123, 960,847.77)
- Land reclamation of Dhuvaafaru, Raa Atoll (MVR 143,111,776.60)
- Harbour upgrade for Hinnavaru, Lhaviyani Atoll (MVR 99,521,070.22)
- Land reclamation and coastal protection of Ukulhas, Alif Alif Atoll (MVR 71,250,813.38)
- Harbour upgrade for Ukulhas, Alif Alif Atoll (MVR 19,925,160.24)
- Harbour upgrade for Maalhos, Alif Alif Atoll (MVR 56,970,122.62)
- Land reclamation and coastal protection of Dhiggaru, Meemu Atoll (MVR 121,846,540.96)
- Land reclamation and coastal protection of Hirilandhoo, Thaa Atoll (MVR 105,194,514.48)
- Land reclamation of Dhaandhoo, Gaafu Alif Atoll (MVR 186,646,090.34)
The agreements set a deadline of approximately one year for MTCC to complete the land reclamation projects.
The shortest deadline at three months was set for the harbour upgrade project at Ukulhas.
The planning ministry's Director General Shana stated that the government will settle the project costs on a long-term basis.
"We have established a price ceiling on the total amount we must pay annually over the next four years", she said.
The government is to pay approximately MVR 330 million per year for the projects.