A speedboat preparing to take tourists on an excursion caught fire in Vaavu Fulidhoo. A crew member was injured in this incident.
President of Fulidhoo Council Mohamed Imthiyaaz had told Mihaaru that this incident happened around 08:40 am on Friday morning. The speedboat caught on fire due to fuel leakage, he said.
At the time of the incident, in addition to the crew member, there were five tourists on the speedboat. While the tourists were not injured, the crew member was and had to brought to Male' for further medical treatment.
As the Fulidhoo Health Center do not have the available facilities to conduct the required tests, it is unclear what injuries he sustained.
He was brought to Male' around 12:00 pm in the afternoon.
A short while after the incident, the speedboat submerged into the Fulidhoo reef area.