A short, nostalgic photo series on how 'the island cities' of Maldives have changed over the last few decades.
As with all places, the Maldives has changed. significantly over the last few decades, especially during the first years of the new millennia. For those who remember, it has been quite the change, from unpaved roads, the beaches of 'Marine Drive', a far greener landscape overall to massive buildings taking over the skyline, and everything else in between.
Join us as we take a nostalgic photo-journey through the evolution of 'Fura Male' to 'Male' City'.
The large coral stone Munnaaru or minaret, a tower in front of the mosque was built in 1675 to represent the beginning of round minarets in the country and form an interesting variation with the pre-Islamic past of the country.
The minaret was originally binded by iron chains and copper belts in 1914 AD.
Hukuru Miskiyy was built in 1656. The mosque is built entirely with coral stones, intricately carved with Arabic calligraphy and ornamental patterns, which depict 11th century Islamic architecture and local lacquer work .
There are also a number of ancient tombstone set in memory of past sultans, heroes and nobles in the mosque compound. Some historical facts about the structure of the Mosque can also be seen inscribed in Arabic on the walls.
The first ever Majlis in the Maldives was formed after a council was set up by Sultan Muhammad Shamsuddeen III to draft the constitution of the Maldives on 9 March 1931.
The council completed and implemented the constitution on 22 December 1932, in turn being the basis for the formation of the People's Majlis.
Bandaara Koshi is the headquarters of the Maldives National Defense Force (MNDF). As such, it has stood witness to quite a few monumental moments in the history of Maldives. For instance, it is where former President Nasheed spent the last moments of his Presidency at 5:00 am on 7 February 2012.
Bandaara Koshi is also where the soldiers and officers of Maldives National Defense Force, and Maldives Police Service, swear to “gladly give our lives in defense of the independence, peace and unity of our nation”, and renew their vows every year. This year, the ceremony was attended by incumbent President Yameen Abdul Gayoom.
One of the most historical interest in Male’ is the Medhu Ziyaaraiy, wherein lies the tomb of the saint Sheikh Abul Barakath Yusuf, who converted Maldives to Islam in 1153 AD.
The tomb inside the enclosure, however, is not open for public viewing.
The National Museum in Male’ contains objects of interest from Maldives’ long history. One section of the Museum is devoted to artifacts from Maldives’ pre-Islamic past. Some of the objects, many of them of Buddhist origin, displayed date back from 4th to the 10th century AD.
Established on the National Day of the Maldives, the first national museum of the country was opened on November 11, 1952, by the Prime Minister at the time, Mohamed Amin Didi. However, the building was later abolished by President Mohamed Nasheed and re-opened on Maldives' Independence Day, July 26, 2010 at the site of the Maldivian Royal Palace compound dating back to the 17th century.