The Edition


Not retired, will be seen next year: Keeper Imran

06 December 2018, MVT 13:40
Former national team goalkeeper Imran Abdulla. PHOTO: NISHAN ALI/MIHAARU
06 December 2018, MVT 13:40

Maldives' legendary goalkeeper Imran Mohamed said that even though it may seem as if he had retired, spectators will see him performing in the first division next year.

New Radiant Sports Club had terminated his contract in October, leaving the keeper without a club. The club decided to end his contract when he sent a complaint regarding his salary to the Football Association of Maldives (FAM). According to Imran, he did not turn up for training because the club failed to give his salary.

The 37-year-old stated that people have assumed that he retired from football since he was not seen from the pitch during the last half of the season.

“I have not retired from football. I have no such thoughts and you will see me in the first division next year,” said Imran.

Imran, who is among the highest paid players in local football, announced that he has not been in contact with any clubs yet.

Imran has put up a brilliant performance in the Male’ League, helping his club win the Dhiraagu Dhivehi Premier League in 2018. Furthermore, his performance in the group stages of the AFC cup was appreciated by the fans of his club. However, the keeper has not shown up to training after the league was postponed for 70 days in preparation for the SAFF Suzuki Cup.

According to Imran, the club had agreed on a date for his payment although he did not show up to training because the club failed to keep its promise.

Nevertheless, New Radiant have stated that Imran has already been paid 70 percent of his salary in advance. The remaining 30 percent was agreed to be paid in three installments although the club admitted that two payments have been paid.

Keeper Imran has played for Victory Sports Club for most of his career although he has always been a New Radiant supporter at heart. He joined New Radiant in 2012 and the club won all the games in all the local competitions in 2013. In addition, New Radiant also reached the quarter finals in the AFC cup in 2013.

Imran, however, switched to Maziya Sports and Recreation Club in 2015 but returned to New Radiant in 2017 after retired Colonel Mohamed Ziyad was elected as the executive manager of the club. New Radiant won Dhivehi Premier League, FA Cup and President’s Cup in 2017 thus demonstrating the significance of keeper Imran.