The Edition
facebook icon twitter icon instagram icon linkedin icon


Company established to provide prisons with clean water

Shahudha Mohamed
06 May 2019, MVT 20:08
Minister of Home Affairs Imran Abdulla inaugurating the desalination plant established by Prisco in Maafushi Prison. PHOTO: HOME MINISTRY
Shahudha Mohamed
06 May 2019, MVT 20:08

Maldives Correctional Services (MCS) announced the formation of a company aimed at providing clean drinking water to those serving time in prison and those detained under various circumstances, adding that a desalination plant was established in Maafushi Prison.

Named 'Priswater', the company was founded under the Prison Cooperative Society (PRISCO), operating under MCS and an independent company providing clean water services.

PRISCO is owner of 30 percent of Priswater shares while majority partner Short Throw Maldives Pvt Ltd holds the other 70 percent.

The first desalination plant established by this company was inaugurated in Maafushi Prison by Minister of Home Affairs Imran Abdulla on Sunday.

According to the Home Ministry, the plant was established to reduce state expenditure in providing detainees with water that is safe for drinking.

Previously, drinking water was provided to inmates and detainees at a rate of MVR 420 per tonne. Therefore, as an average MVR 84,000 was spent per day, water consumption cost approximately MVR 2.6 million per month.

However, the new plant established in collaboration with PrisCo will provide water at the rate of MVR 120 per tonne. Therefore, the daily expenditure will be cut down to MVR 24,000, which will total up to an average of MVR 744,000 per month.