Maldives ushered in over 20 top placements as the World Luxury Hotel Awards, which celebrates luxury resorts and hotels around the globe, announced its winners for 2019 on Saturday at Arctic TreeHouse Hotel, Finland.
The premier awards recognised 'Global', 'Continental', 'Regional' and 'Country' based luxury accommodations from over 100 categories.
Four Maldivian resorts were named 'Global' winners in the following categories:
- Luxury Island Resort - Jumeirah Vittaveli
- Luxury Collection Group - LUX* North Male' Atoll
- Luxury Honeymoon Resort - Reethi Faru Resort
- Luxury Private Island Resort - Velaa Private Island
Eleven resorts won in the 'Continental' categories including:
- Luxury Honeymoon Resort - Centara Ras Fushi
- Luxury Eco Resort - Constance Halaveli Maldives
- Luxury Beach Retreat - Finolhu, Baa Atoll
- Best General Manager - Furaveri Island Resort
- Luxury Water Villa Resort - Grand Park Kodhipparu
- Luxury Family Beach Resort - Kanuhura Maldives
- Luxury Island Resort - LUX* South Ari Atoll
- Luxury New Resort - Movenpick Resort Kuredhivaru
- Luxury Adult Beach Resort - ROBINSON Club Maldives
- Luxury Hideaway Villa - Royal Residence at Jumeirah Vittaveli
- Luxury Family Resort - The Sun Siyam Iru Fushi
Mirihi Island Resort and Royal Island Resort managed a 'Country' category win in the Luxury Honeymoon Resort and Luxury Island Resort Awards, respectively.
In addition, nine other resorts won accolades from the Indian Ocean 'Regional' Awards:
- Luxury Family All-Inclusive Hotel – Centara Grand Island Resort
- Luxury Eco Resort – Constance Moofushi
- Luxury Beach Hotel – Dusit Thani Maldives
- Luxury New Resort – Fairmont Maldives Sirru Fen Fushi
- Luxury All-Inclusive Retreat – Hideaway Beach Resort
- Luxury Island Resort - JA Manafaru
- Luxury Family Beach Resort - Lily Beach Resort
- Luxury Honeymoon Resort - Makunudu Island
- Luxury Beach Villa - Robinson Club Noonu
As one of the top tourist destinations in the world, Maldives has continued to receive awards and accolades for its globally acclaimed tourism industry and resorts, including honours such as the top island destination and best beaches.
The World Luxury Hotel Awards were established in 2006 to reflect the opinions of guests and travel industry professionals. Over 300,000 international travellers vote each year to select the winners.